7/8/07

To You Mae

Tonight, all of the 19 month you, sat lazily on my lap while finishing the first viewing of Cinderella. Together we watched; you for the first time and me, a refresher of a movie that was a favorite from my childhood. You enjoyed every last minute and seemed quiet disappointed when the credits slowly rolled up the screen. I turned the television off. Now the only noise in the house was that of Daddy in the kitchen cleaning shrimp and the dogs wrestling beside us. I gently placed your head on my shoulder. It remained there for a couple of minutes, but then quickly popped us. You were trying to resist the sleepiness overcoming you. I began to hum a song from Cinderella to lull you to sleep, but you decided to hum right along with me. A grin emerged on my face. I again laid your head on my shoulder. The rocking chair rhythmically squeaked beneath us. The only thought in my mind was that there was no place I would rather be, no place could compare to this! You still resisted sleep. You took your small, fragile finger and humorously placed it on my nose, while clearly saying, ‘nose.’ Your tiny pointer than found its way to my cheek, and I said, ‘cheek.’ Every few seconds a new facial feature was touched and I identified each one. Finally, you found your way to my eyebrow. What fun that word was to your ears. Each time you touched an eyebrow and I would say, “eyebrow,” a deep belly laugh escaped from your lips. Over and over again, this game would repeat and each time you would giggle a sweet, innocent giggle. Finally, the sleepiness was too strong to fight. Your head began getting heavier and heavier on my shoulder. Your breathing got deeper. You were finally asleep. I knew I could place you gently into your crib without waking you, but I was enjoying this cuddle so much I continued rocking. I know this time with you, this time when you enjoy snuggling with mom, will not last forever. With each passing a day, you become more and more independent. I must savor these sweet moments!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I feel like I just peeked in on a private moment. Great post!

Thanks for your kind words at my blog. It's nice to have people rooting you on during the hard times.

Jennifer said...

Hi again! I just got your email and for some reason it wouldn't let me reply?

Anyway...You're welcome. Welcome to the world of blogging!

I'll keep stopping by!